I am an Assistant Professor of Digital Arts at Stetson University in Deland, Florida. I currently teach courses in digital audio, audio recording and production, senior projects, scoring for multimedia, and advanced digital art studio.
My teaching philosophy emphasizes being flexible, conversational, and empathetic through the use of active learning techniques.
Here are some recent posts that have to do with my teaching:
- Sandra Stetson Aquatic Center (SSAC) Audio StreamAs a part of the Stetson Institute for Water and Environmental Resilience (IWER), my colleague Nathan Wolek and I have started an acoustic ecology lab and a project of audio streams in places of interest … Continue reading
- Kenny Lee and Hannah Sun, videoI had a lot of fun recording, mixing, and editing this video for Kenny Lee and Hannah Sun of Schumann’s Adagio and Allegro. Shoutout to Digital Arts students Destin Beaumont and Rob Armstrong for assisting … Continue reading
- Wandelweiser mapI’m happy to be included on this map of the Wandelweiser artist network. I’m one of the very few in the southern US! https://www.wandelweiser.de/?fbclid=IwAR07QP6_BAg0UZuusU3TrVPgn1k3UKRY8GpH10XEEmwGcQNkDsz8z9kzsug#n-a
- Canteloube: L’arada, Chants de France albumIt was a great pleasure to work as a recording and mixing engineer for my Stetson colleague Karen Coker Merritt’s first album. Canteloube: L’arada / Chants de FranceKaren Coker Merritt, soprano Sean Kennardo, piano (2020) … Continue reading
- Rachmaninov and Barber: Cello Sonatas albumDelos Records DE357https://delosmusic.com/recording/rachmaninoff-barber-cello-sonatas/Jonah Kim, celloSean Kennard, pianoChaz Underriner, recording, mixing, mastering engineerNoah Reed, Dylan Forehand, assistant engineers
- Tollan: Mexican Works for Oboe albumIt was a great pleasure to work with UNT album Jonathan Thompson on his first album as a mixing engineer, particularly since the music is all new compositions for oboe. Tollan: Mexican Works for OboeJonathan … Continue reading
- Scoring for Multimedia class Demo ReelsI’m proud of my first Scoring for Multimedia students finishing up a difficult semester in the spring of 2020. Here are their final projects, a demo reel showcasing their scoring projects for film and video … Continue reading
- DIGA students Senior ExhibitionI’m proud of our Digital Arts seniors who pulled together their senior exhibition to be online in April 2020. One of my mentees, Trevor Hamlin, won an award for his senior project:
- Article in Leonardo Music JournalI’m pleased to share that my article “Mimesis, Murakami and Multimedia Art: Parallel Worlds in Performance” has been published in volume 29 of Leonardo Music Journal (MIT Press). https://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/lmj_a_01059 Abstract: The artistic techniques of mimesis—the … Continue reading
- LINKs journal articleI’m very pleased to have been asked by Hervé Zénouda to contribute some thoughts to a new transdisciplinary arts journal in France called LINKs. You can read my essay from issue 3 of the journal … Continue reading